An invaluable image I refer to all the time, this guide displays the framelines for different focal length lenses for rangefinder Leica M6 cameras with 0.58x, 0.72x and 0.85x viewfinder magnifications.
With the recent release of the gorgeous Hermés Limited Edition M7, I thought I’d post just a few of the special M series bodies that Leica has put out over the years. Some are just too slick for words, others are just silly gimmicks. These cameras definitely fall into the collector’s realm to be placed on a shelf behind glass under its own lighting.
There are many limited edition Leicas that are only differentiated by engravings on the top plate or an upgrade in the materials used for the custom hardware. They even produced a one-off M8 specifically made for Woody Allen.
For all the silliness involved in these special Leicas, put one of them in my hand and then ask me if I want it or not.
Here are a few notable limited edition M bodies:
M7 limited Edition Hermès
Available in a silver chrome finish and a choice of either orange or toupe calfskin leather. Includes a 35 mm f/1.4 ASPH Summilux, a matching classic round lens hood, a LEICAVIT M rapid winder and a leather carrying strap. Comes packaged in a linen-covered, silk-lined box.
Only 100 of each color have been produced and the current price is $12,950.
If you do purchase one, please purchase another for my friend Amanda and you will have her eternal gratitude. Then, she will leave the camera in her car when she goes shopping at Corte Madera.
All-White Leica M8
This is a standard M8 though the lens is a silver finished Elmarit 28mm f2.8 ASPH. At the time of release, price may have been $9,000 but it is available at $7,000 if you can find it. 275 units were made.
This one is my favorite.
Leica Safari M8.2
500 of these M8.2s were released at a price of $10,000. Featuring a matte green vulcanite finish body combined with brushed silver accents and a saddle leather strap, the camera also comes with a 28mm F2.8 lens and a matching canvas and leather camera bag.
Leica MP 0.72X LHSA 1968~2003 in Grey Hammertone Finish
Commemorating the 35th anniversary of LHSA, this MP was also paired with a 35mm Summicron ASPH with a matching hammertone lens hood.
Leica M6 Sultan of Negeri Brunei Darussalam Silver Jubilee 24ct Gold Edition
At one point, this camera was famously featured on eBay for a price of $21,525. It comes paired with a gold-plated 50mm Summilux.
Leica M6 Sultan of Negara Brunei Darussalam Platinum Edition
I would love to see some of the Sultan’s photos though I am sure that he just pays someone to take photos for him.
150 units were made for this edition, paired with a platinum-plated 50mm Summilux and a brilliance-cut diamond in the top plate. His Majesty’s price? $93,499.
You know, without a doubt, that I would still drop this thing on any sidewalk.
Join the Mailing List
- Tokyo | Rail Station
- Josef Koudelka | Spain
- Tokyo | Nelken Cafe in Koenji
- Tokyo | Ueno
- Harajuku | Alice on Wednesday
- Tokyo | Kanda Yabu Soba
- Tokyo | Shibuya
- Hiroshi Watanabe | Rikishi (2005)
- Tokyo | Shibuya Crossing
- Tom Waits | On The Pogues’ Rum, Sodomy & the Lash
- Tokyo | Chiyoda
- Bruce Davidson | East 100th Street
- Tokyo | Japanese Black Pine Trees
- Josef Koudelka | Italy
- Tokyo | Harajuku
Most Popular Posts
- Frank Frazetta | Sketches & Line Drawings
- Leica | M Body Viewfinder Framelines
- Los Angeles | Culver City
- Oscar Graubner | Margaret Bourke-White
- Peter Lindbergh | Milla Jovovitch
- Dennis Hopper, 1936 – 2010
- Akira Kurosawa | Group Compositions in Seven Samurai
- Bruce Davidson | East 100th Street
- Mies Van der Rhoe | God is in the details
- R. Lee Ermey | Stanley Kubrick
- Constantine | Tilda Swinton as Gabriel
- Sergio Leone | The Surrealist Western
- Louis CK | Leica MP
- Mario Testino | Kate Moss by Mario Testino
- Irving Penn | Lisa Fonssagrives
- Mary Ellen Mark | Seen Behind The Scenes
- Terry Richardson | Sisley “Farming” Campain 2001
- Gavin Watson | Skins and Punks
- André Kertész | Underwater Swimmer, 1917
- Ellen von Unwerth | Jean Seberg
- Born Yogis
- Chiang Mai
- dougKIM photography
- Los Angeles
- New York City
- San Francisco
- São Paulo
- Washington DC