I never shoot wildlife because well, I am never out in the wild.
Hired by a corporate client a few years ago to document their game drives in the gorgeous Kruger Concession in South Africa, I spent ten days in the bush, going on three game drives a day. The math for shooting wildlife is simple: get the longest lens possible, hire the best guide possible and display a shit ton of patience while you wait.
This shot is drippingly cute and it is the result of patience and luck and my longest lens. I was sitting in a Land Rover and we were surrounded by lions, lounging in the mid-day sun. Had I been in a different seat, the angle would not have allowed this line up of cubs.
Starlings are notoriously difficult to “control.” The story is told of a man who was bothered by starlings roosting in a large sycamore near his house. He said he tried everything to get rid of them and finally took a shotgun to three of them and killed them. When asked if that discouraged the birds, he reflected a minute, leaned forward, and said confidentially, “Those three it did.”
– Annie Dillard, Pilgrim at Tinker Creek
Selections from the show “On Reality and Other Stories” in Belgium, including his singular “The Hyena Men” series.
I have a deep suspicion of photography, to the point where I do sometimes think it cannot accurately portray anything, really. And, I particularly distrust portrait photography. I mean, do you honestly think a portrait can tell you anything about the subject? And, even if it did, would you trust what it had to say?
- Leonard Cohen | On Conde Guitars
- Chiang Mai | Hill Tribe Area
- Bucharest | Gypsy Apartments
- Romania | The Shepherd
- Chiang Mai | The Chinese Monk
- Thailand | Chiang Mai
- Thailand | Chiang Rai
- Werner Herzog | On Celluloid
- Chiang Mai | Hmong Hill Tribe
- Chiang Mai | The Karen Hill Tribe
- Arthur C. Clarke | The HAL – IBM Myth
- Chiang Mai | Palong Hill Tribe
- Ridley Scott | Kubrick Footage in Blade Runner
- Chiang Mai | Longneck Hill Tribe
- Louis CK | Leica Shooting, USO Tour
- Born Yogis
- Chiang Mai
- dougKIM photography
- Los Angeles
- New York City
- San Francisco
- São Paulo
- Washington DC