Blizzard 2009 | Snowball fight Times Square

Posted: December 20th, 2009 | Author: | Filed under: dougKIM photography, New York City, Nikon

This was an impromptu snowball fight in Times Square around 1AM in the midst of the blizzard Saturday night. The real danger wasn’t the snow and subsequent moisture destroying my gear. No, the real danger was shooting the mayhem with a wide lens which meant that I was a prime target. I had to put the gear down several times for some payback.

Note: due to demand, prints can be purchased now at SmugMug. For higher end archival prints, please email me directly. Happy holidays everyone!

Tags: , , , , , | 327 Comments »

327 Comments on “Blizzard 2009 | Snowball fight Times Square

1. 1 cynthia said at 10:22 pm on December 20th, 2009:

Great photos! The absence of traffic and snow covered street make the scene look it was from another century. The space looks so human-sized and reminds me of paintings, Breugel, the Dutch artist did of villagers playing in the snow in the 16th century. I hope it was as fun for everyone as it looks. Did people choose sides? Was it a free for all? Was there a feeling of community? How did it end?

2. 2 MB said at 11:23 pm on December 20th, 2009:

Awesome. Just . . . awesome.

3. 3 With Cops Like This . . . | Blacknell.net said at 11:24 pm on December 20th, 2009:

[...] And here are some fantastic photos of NYC pulling off what we couldn’t, it seems.  Do click. You can leave a comment, or [...]

4. 4 doug said at 11:53 pm on December 20th, 2009:

Apparently this was started by some kids from Florida:

People did take sides with occasional charges into the other’s lines and the occasional ganging up on a chosen individual. It was so much fun. I only saw maybe 45 minutes of it then the crowd density thinned out and the fight faded. Everyone was yelling “Only in New York!”

And I did catch a few in the face but since I was not exactly protecting myself, I must have been an easy target.

Breugel?! Thanks for that!

I had been wandering the streets for a few hours and the city was pretty deserted except for Times Square. I heard that there was an organized snowball fight in Union Square today but it could not have compared to the spontaneous gathering last night.

-Doug

5. 5 Chelsey said at 1:08 am on December 21st, 2009:

Hey! great photos! There’s a Facebook group for it now: The Times Square Snowball Fight of 2009.

6. 6 Jane said at 11:06 am on December 21st, 2009:

Wonderful comparison with Breugel…gives it all a whole new dimension.

What absolute fun. It makes me feel joyful.

Jane

7. 7 abominable snowman said at 11:24 am on December 21st, 2009:

That looks like fun I missed the big fight I guess LOL

8. 8 abominable snowman said at 11:25 am on December 21st, 2009:

When is the next one

9. 9 Eludius said at 11:31 am on December 21st, 2009:

Awesome pictures. Even better that they are not in color. This is art show material.

10. 10 Carmen said at 11:40 am on December 21st, 2009:

Where is QUITA in the picture? She likes snow

11. 11 Bob said at 11:50 am on December 21st, 2009:

Bloomberg’s notion of closing down part of Times Square to traffic doesn’t look so dumb after all.

“Only in New York” — precisely.

12. 12 Lauren said at 12:35 pm on December 21st, 2009:

Fabulous pictures of a fabulous event! We are all kids at heart and the photographer has captured that nicely.

13. 13 cgeorge said at 12:42 pm on December 21st, 2009:

Those photos are fantastic — really love them! A friend of mine lives in NYC, and she said one of her best memories of being there was just after a big snow storm a few years ago. She walked down the middle of Broadway in Times Sq. with her dog … in utter silence.

14. 14 Greg Gehr said at 12:43 pm on December 21st, 2009:

at least the cops did not break this snow ball fun up with their guns drawn! http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8424836.stm

15. 15 Mike T said at 12:46 pm on December 21st, 2009:

If only for a moment humanity sheads the cloak of idiocy that is adulthood and exposes the elemental heart of the playful and innocent child that exists at the core of us all. Behold, if only for a moment, heaven existed in Times Square.

16. 16 Steve said at 12:50 pm on December 21st, 2009:

This looks like so much fun. Amazing pictures. Its like time stopped at busy TimeSquare so everyone played.

17. 17 evoc said at 12:51 pm on December 21st, 2009:

New Yorkers just wanna have fun…

18. 18 Susan L said at 12:54 pm on December 21st, 2009:

Loved your photos! Makes people fall in Love with New York! Awesome! Thank you , thank you!

19. 19 Natasha Posada said at 12:58 pm on December 21st, 2009:

These pictures are great!! That was one of the best times we ever had in our life!! lol! Thanks for the great pics!

20. 20 Maggie said at 1:00 pm on December 21st, 2009:

Absolutely beautiful photographs. This sounds like it was a once in a lifetime moment and I’m grateful you were there to capture. Well done!

21. 21 CarrieB. said at 1:00 pm on December 21st, 2009:

Well said MikeT, well said!

22. 22 ABDOOL HAFEEZ said at 1:00 pm on December 21st, 2009:

THE PICTURES ARE WONDEFULL. THEY SHOW US THAT THERE IS JOY IN THE SIMPLEST THINGS. WE AS HUMANS NEED MORE TIMES LIKE THAT.

23. 23 Stephanie H said at 1:25 pm on December 21st, 2009:

Thanks for the photos. It is nice to know that even in a huge city like New York strangers can still let down their guard and have fun together. There was naked happiness on peoples` faces. That is so much more in the spirit of the holidays than any hallmark moment.

24. 24 Josh Flickema said at 1:43 pm on December 21st, 2009:

Amazing photographs. Looked like some vintage photos taken from the 50′s. To see Americans with smileson their faces, you can see he joy and happiness in the pictures. We need that in this era. A reminder of how life can be so innocent and fun no matter your age

25. 25 Angela K. Nickerson said at 1:45 pm on December 21st, 2009:

Fabulous photos! I gave you a little link love this morning as I’d been blogging about snow in Venice.

Great work!

26. 26 Mark Kelly said at 1:49 pm on December 21st, 2009:

Who says the news can’t be good? Best news story of the year!

27. 27 Maria said at 1:54 pm on December 21st, 2009:

Wonderful photos of a wonderful event. It’s good to see children being children in this age.

28. 28 Akanksha said at 1:57 pm on December 21st, 2009:

Nothin can beat the spirit of NYC…You guys Rock!!!!

29. 29 Edyta said at 2:00 pm on December 21st, 2009:

LOVE IT! Wish I was there!

30. 30 Denis said at 2:02 pm on December 21st, 2009:

I don’t much when it comes to famous Photographers, I only know of Karsh, but, I would compare these photos to any of the great photos of eras gone by.

I have never had the privlage of visiting New York City, though I have always wanted to… seeing these pictures, makes me want to go even more, which is odd since, I really do hate Winter and Snow.

We get so much of it here, and there is very little in the way of fun when it comes to the snow. To see a city like New York stop, if even for a few minutes, and take the time to enjoy it, is so amazing.

I doubt you’d ever be able to have something like that here in this stuffy Gov’t town. I have to say well done NYC, and especially well done to an obviously greatly talented Photographer.

Thanks for reminding this Winter hating Canadian, that Winter isn’t entirely bad, you just have to make it fun…

Denis
    Ottawa, Canada

31. 31 KPD said at 2:03 pm on December 21st, 2009:

I love the photos. I get a strong sense of camaraderie between people who don’t even know each other but happen to be at the same place at the right time. Surreal.

32. 32 Blake Sparkes said at 2:09 pm on December 21st, 2009:

I only visited New York City once, and I loved the people. The care-free atmosphere is refreshingly paradoxical. This story did not surprise me. I love New York. I can’t wait to go back.

33. 33 Dave said at 2:09 pm on December 21st, 2009:

Good times in Times Square – it’s all fun and games until someone gets an eye put out, then it’s just fun and games that they can’t see anymore!

34. 34 Joe said at 2:17 pm on December 21st, 2009:

wow these pics rule! The black and white makes it even better! :) wish i could have been there

35. 35 flor in Seville/Spain said at 2:23 pm on December 21st, 2009:

Great Action..felt all warmed up……and loved the girl doing the “angel” on the ground…thanks

36. 36 fred said at 2:24 pm on December 21st, 2009:

that was not a fucking blizzard you pussies. thats like a light covering

37. 37 Kelli said at 2:28 pm on December 21st, 2009:

I recently moved to the West Coast and am missing New York immensely around this time of year. It really is about the simple things in life, and this truly captures the spirit of the Holiday season.

Thank you for your beautiful photographs.

38. 38 Byron said at 2:53 pm on December 21st, 2009:

Only in New York! I love this city!

Great shots btw.

39. 39 Carrie said at 2:59 pm on December 21st, 2009:

So refreshing to see so many people smiling and having fun together!

40. 40 Kirk said at 2:59 pm on December 21st, 2009:

I couldn’t help but notice that the guy atthe bottom of the pile in the last photo appears to be wearing hockey skates. Is there a rink in Times Square somewhere?

41. 41 Pam said at 3:08 pm on December 21st, 2009:

Wonderful, wonderful photos! I had such an overwhelming sense of joy from these pics and agree with Mike T’s comments wholeheartedly.

Thanks for such great photos and sharing the joy in Times Square with everyone.

42. 42 Bee said at 3:11 pm on December 21st, 2009:

Love the pictures! What sweet joy everyone is experiencing! Especially like the kid with the grin on his face and the missile in his hand, cocked to take out the photographer :)

43. 43 Patti S said at 3:19 pm on December 21st, 2009:

I am a midwest girl and love NYC! I visit at least twice a year. I wish I could have been in TimeSquare to see this sight in person. Beautiful pictures. Thank you so much for sharing.

44. 44 Adamantia Claus said at 3:39 pm on December 21st, 2009:

OHHHHH! THIS IS MY HOMETOWN! THIS is what I loved about NY. Food parties during blackouts, people helping people during crises…bigass impromptu snowball fights with total strangers!!!
    THIS is what makes people die hard NYers this feeling that in this big ass city you can STILL CONNECT with others when you really NEED to – even if its just to play.
    LOVE the pictures! Even though I’m sitting here in hotass San DIego where it was 71 degrees this am at 6:30 (I’m totally serious) 6 days before Christmas, …
    I’M WITH YOU FOLKS! IMMA BRONXGIRL FOREVER!!! I love NY!
    You can say what you want about the city and the powerbroker scum that infect it like a STD, ah but the PEOPLE of NY, their hearts at times shine like GOLD! The 13 CANNOT hold this city down for long.

45. 45 Megan said at 3:47 pm on December 21st, 2009:

I am in love with these photographs! I’m so happy I saw them on cnn.com. I linked to your slideshow from my own blog, hope you don’t mind. Congrats on awesome photographs – like I said in my blog, you made my day!

46. 46 Adamantia Claus said at 3:50 pm on December 21st, 2009:

OH! I almost forgot to THANK the photographer profusely.
    THANK YOU DOUG. THANK YOU DOUG.
    These pictures made my day.
    Oh and Kirk, yes in Central Park there is a rink he was probably coming from there on the subway Times Square is a big transfer hub in the system and he probably heard the laughter and went to investigate.

47. 47 M said at 3:50 pm on December 21st, 2009:

Really incredible and breathtaking. I’ve been missing NYC for a few months now while overseas and always tried to explain to my friends the essence of the city and these capture it amazingly. Wonderful!

48. 48 Andrea N said at 4:16 pm on December 21st, 2009:

I was in need of a smile today. Thanks to these photos, I got one. Thank-you Doug Kim for these wonderful photos. Wish I were in NYC now.

49. 49 Michael said at 4:31 pm on December 21st, 2009:

Truely the best story I’ve heard in a long time. It’s nice to know that there is still good in the world.

50. 50 Joshua said at 4:31 pm on December 21st, 2009:

Fantastic! It’s amazing to see people who probably never met until that moment breaking out and having fun with each other. My compliments to you sir for sensing a moment that I can only describe as an example of the magic that still resides in humanity and capturing it for others to relish in.

51. 51 NotInNewYork said at 4:40 pm on December 21st, 2009:

“Only in New York”

What?

My dear friends in NYC you didn’t invent spontaneous snow ball battles. There have been spontaneous snow ball fights in my city after big snows for years…I would assume since the begining of time. They’ve been in streets, city parks, school football fields, and a lot of other wide open spaces. So it’s not “Only in New York” as you might think. There’s world going on outside your city.

None the less, I’m glad everyone had fun as I did in the battle in my town on Saturday.

Happy Holidays….and let it snow….more!

52. 52 Julie King said at 4:52 pm on December 21st, 2009:

Priceless!!!

53. 53 nancy said at 5:25 pm on December 21st, 2009:

I LOVE these photos. way to go NY for making the best of the situation – it is lovely to see such impromtu fun – wish I had been there to join in!!

54. 54 Jim Jones said at 5:30 pm on December 21st, 2009:

Living in South Australia means no snow, so these pictures take me back to my childhood days in London. We used to stare out of the window at xmas hoping for snow on xmas day. Thank you for the memory.

55. 55 Christine said at 5:30 pm on December 21st, 2009:

Every City should have random snowball fights. It’s one way to get the 8-5 relief.

56. 56 Jeff Estes said at 5:31 pm on December 21st, 2009:

This is awesome!! Love the NYorkers sharing fun, laughs and nothing better than a good snowball fight! Way to go NY!

57. 57 Nikki said at 5:39 pm on December 21st, 2009:

OMG– I’m so happy you posted these.. I was there and got to experience it. This is one moment I will never forget. We had so much fun. It was my first trip to NY too! Amazing!

58. 58 NYC said at 6:15 pm on December 21st, 2009:

Only in… any city where snow falls and shuts down the city.

The students in Madison, WI did the same thing last week.

59. 59 Wayne Dion said at 6:32 pm on December 21st, 2009:

This is absolutely GREAT! Good job. Excellent photos. Been telling everyone I know about this series. Thanks.

60. 60 Anonymous said at 6:49 pm on December 21st, 2009:

Just amazing photos! Make me miss it there!

61. 61 Rebecca said at 6:55 pm on December 21st, 2009:

Love the black and white and it to repeat all of the others is a different Times Square, I remember the millenium where noone could leave once inside to use a restroom!

62. 62 Cindy said at 7:45 pm on December 21st, 2009:

Thanks for the awesome pics….makes me homesick

63. 63 Peter said at 7:47 pm on December 21st, 2009:

For those who poo-poo it, take a breath. New York City is so frequently slammed from so many directions that when a pure moment occurs, New Yorkers are justified in glorying in it. The weather truly affects people.

I live in New York but instead found myself walking down the middle of Old York Road in Elkins Park PA late on Saturday night with my honey. We stepped aside to let the rare vehicle drive by. The woman stopped in the middle of the road and rolled down her window, asking if we were okay.

A simple kindness from a stranger, attributed in my mind to the weather. It is soothing, humbling and delightful to be in the middle of a storm like that. It brings out the joy within many. Of course New York City isn’t the only place to enjoy a heavy snowfall. But it is the rare city moment that appears from the photos to be devoid of agenda, nuance or negativity.

Pure moments are frequently the purvey of the under-5 population. I say a nod and a smile for the adults who let loose and had fun.

Fun without strings is an almost lost quality in life in 2010.

Viva Fun !!!

Peter

64. 64 GateKeper said at 7:55 pm on December 21st, 2009:

The difference between the DC snowball fight and the nyc Union square is this..the DC snowfight was at a MAJOR intersection..where traffic and people walked upon a narrow sidewalk..the location was not one of the best to have a snowball fight..becuz it would have involved those who are not or would know what is going on ..as the under cover policmen indicated..THAT should have been a CLUE it was over.then to not understand what just happen to ainnocent by-stander?..Who happened to be a policemen..plus the traffic travelling right thru the area as well,? it was STUPID thing to do..not a SAFE thing to do at a traffic intersection,.as a fact. ..go to a park like other little children who want to have a snowball fight and where little girls make snow angels..

65. 65 Rachael said at 7:56 pm on December 21st, 2009:

These pictures are amazing, how a world can just stop and forget about their troubles just that once and enjoy the small things in life that we take for granted. Im from Northern Ireland and if that happened over here, people would be on the phone to the Police for GBH. Its unfortunate but its just how the world seems to be…

Rachael (Northern Ireland)

66. 66 sheila said at 8:07 pm on December 21st, 2009:

Etheral and beautiful. Glad you were there to capture it for the rest of us who were not there!

Sheila (former NYer living in San Fran)

67. 67 Billy Scanlan said at 8:11 pm on December 21st, 2009:

I love that you have captured JOY in place of war. I have seen similar images so many times of, yet thronging rocks, or cocktails instead of fun filled snow balls. So many different walks of life simply enjoying the snowy night.

Well captured.

68. 68 NINI said at 8:36 pm on December 21st, 2009:

I found myself smiling as I viewed. Thank you. You captured the moment beautifully.

69. 69 Daniel St Louis said at 8:47 pm on December 21st, 2009:

I live where we see as much snow but not nearly with som uch life and energy.

Thx NYC for making winter so much fun.

70. 70 Daniel St Louis said at 8:49 pm on December 21st, 2009:

ps . I live up the Atlantic coast in Moncton, NB Canada

71. 71 MARK BAISLEY said at 9:56 pm on December 21st, 2009:

This was so awesome, I had a great time. did see you there taking the pictures, thanks so much for bringing back these memories

72. 72 Ken Hanscom said at 10:51 pm on December 21st, 2009:

Awesome to be there and take part at the beginning. We had just finished our late dinner @ Maxie’s and started walking through the square snapping some photos when it started to break out.

Great fun!

73. 73 Leisa Price said at 11:11 pm on December 21st, 2009:

The photos were great and the whole idea of it is great…People just having a good time with one another. We all need to do stuff like that more often!

74. 74 Joan said at 11:13 pm on December 21st, 2009:

Wow great photos!!!!! Fun fun fun,

75. 75 michael manning said at 11:24 pm on December 21st, 2009:

several years ago my cousin and i were in central park and something very similar happened. the snow was falling heavily, there was already lots of snow on the ground. we started playfully throwing snowballs at couples, people having a good time. of course people responded, the snow started flying and within maybe 30 minutes there was a huge conflagration in the park. it was a blast, took over the whole area, included bridges and rocks and trees. there were definite sides but no allegiances. all in fun. eventually the media showed up and started asking how it all started. that was back in 2000 or 2001, around new years eve.

76. 76 JOHNNY said at 11:28 pm on December 21st, 2009:

THOSE WERE SOME GREAT PICS. I WISH I WAS THERE, IT LOOKED LIKE SO MUCH FUN. THATS WHAT NEW YORK IS ALL ABOUT….

77. 77 Tim Rigney said at 11:43 pm on December 21st, 2009:

What a wonderful thing. And it speaks volumes without having to say a word. A nice, early Christmas present for the entire world.

78. 78 Springer said at 11:45 pm on December 21st, 2009:

THANKS DOUG!!!!

79. 79 Zulekha said at 11:46 pm on December 21st, 2009:

Events like this, though rare, are a true measure of the city’s spirit and that of it’s people. This is awesome! Both, Times Square New York in that moment and the way you’ve captured it, Doug. Simply beautiful!

Zulekha (Abu Dhabi)

80. 80 Britney Spears Calls Bulls++t » MTV Buzzworthy Blog | Britney Spears Celebrity Monitor said at 11:49 pm on December 21st, 2009:

[...] Blizzard 2009 | Snowball fight Times Square « Chasing Light … [...]

81. 81 doug said at 12:23 am on December 22nd, 2009:

I want to thank everyone for the kind words! I am just honestly glad that I happened to show up at Times Square when I did.

This series to me is the point of real photography: not to make something or someone beautiful, but to record something beautiful, something fleeting, a wisp of a moment that will never be repeated again.

This little event on Saturday night was recorded in a handful of images, no longer in total time than a fraction of a second. These photos succeed because they speak to all of you, whether you’re in your own foot of snow or somewhere where the sun is still blazing. If I can capture an image that becomes a trigger to make people think, feel, or remind them of something, then I have done my job.

Thanks again for looking and the comments.

And to the skirmishers who got me in the face while I was shooting, nice arms and thanks for not hitting my gear.

Now, go out and play.

Doug Kim (the photographer)

82. 82 Casey said at 12:41 am on December 22nd, 2009:

I LOVE this!!

83. 83 carl said at 12:54 am on December 22nd, 2009:

Super duper! just the way GOD wants us to live r lifes.

84. 84 Wayne, Atlanta, Ga said at 1:57 am on December 22nd, 2009:

Great pictures Doug. We do not get much of a chance at snowball fights down here and it looked like some awesome fun. An earlier post mentioned the difference between the DC snowball fight and the NYC snowball fight was where it was held. There were no difference between the two except NYC did not have a JA Detective (the only person that had a problem with it) wanting to show his authority or should I say un-called for authority. It also appeared he deliberately drove through the area knowing it was going on with the intention to show his a** and he did a good job doing so. The one in DC had gone on for hours with other DC police driving through without having a problem with it then comes along the one that wants to make it a problem for all.

Good show NYC you did not let anyone down. I enjoyed the pictures and if I had known about it and could have gotten a flight up I would have enjoyed joining you for a good snowball fight.

Wayne, Atlanta, GA

85. 85 James Jones said at 1:59 am on December 22nd, 2009:

I wish I was there..

86. 86 Kaarin S said at 2:52 am on December 22nd, 2009:

these are the photos people will be looking at 40 years from now… “whoa, snow ball fight in times square! man. must have been good back then…” ;)

87. 87 Kimberley said at 2:54 am on December 22nd, 2009:

Wow, amazing photos! I wish I was there – what an incredible vibe! It’s awesome how complete strangers can suddenly become buddies in a moment.

I’m sitting in HOT South Africa and suddenly reminicing about my good times in the States, and my wonderful time in NYC. Love that city. I snuck some shots from the NY Times on my blog of central park…

woot thanks!

88. 88 Ryan said at 2:58 am on December 22nd, 2009:

Wow, great photos! How you kept hold of the camera with all that going on is beyond me!

89. 89 adam said at 3:06 am on December 22nd, 2009:

it made me feel pride in my country for once in long time. great photos man.

90. 90 Rebekah said at 3:19 am on December 22nd, 2009:

!!! Why does New York get to have all the fun??!! And all the snow?? Dang it mild and rainy Vancouver, Canada!!!

91. 91 Rabit said at 4:07 am on December 22nd, 2009:

I bet the cops even got in on this throwing a few snow balls. NYC is the best. People there know how to take advantage of having fun. I really wish i was there. Merry Christmas everyone.

92. 92 Zülkif Saltık said at 4:46 am on December 22nd, 2009:

The question is WHY! Because they know to enjoy the time and life. And the snowfall is there, not here. Nice photos and ambience!

93. 93 Raul Feliciano Sanchez said at 5:28 am on December 22nd, 2009:

The landing on the Hudson of the US. Airways plane and this NYC snowball fight, are the two greatest LOVE stories in a long, long time. But you need someone who knows how to READ that language called LOVE, in order to translate it so we can all understand a language that many times is dormant in the deepest corners of our hearts, and for one reason or another we do not let it flow free spontaneously, the only way LOVE itself knows how to flow. Doug you are a magnificent translator. I know “you know what I mean”.

Raul Feliciano Sanchez
    Houston, Texas

94. 94 Mooie foto’s van het sneeuwballengevech… « van-waveren.nl said at 6:44 am on December 22nd, 2009:

[...] het sneeuwballengevecht gisteren op Times Square. Georganiseerd via Facebook, gefotografeerd door velen. [...]

95. 95 Music Download » What’s going on Tuesday? said at 7:43 am on December 22nd, 2009:

[...] Snowball fight in Times Square – 12/19/09 (Doug Kim) [...]

96. 96 Troy said at 7:53 am on December 22nd, 2009:

I like this, its good to see that we still have some lightheartedness in us even in a city like New York City.

97. 97 SC said at 8:06 am on December 22nd, 2009:

Having moved recently after many years in NYC, I’ve been missing it especially now at Christmastime. Thanks for reminding me what made it such a special place for me and for giving a me a little taste of the white NYC Christmas…

98. 98 Joanne said at 8:56 am on December 22nd, 2009:

Love these. Thanks for the smile.

99. 99 ATL Guy said at 9:19 am on December 22nd, 2009:

Man, I so miss NYC. I can’t wait to leave this hell hole in the south and get back to reality.

100. 100 New York Times Meydanı’nda Kar Savaşı | Kozmik Dünya said at 9:32 am on December 22nd, 2009:

[...] Diğer fotoğrafları görmek için tıklayınız! [...]

101. 101 Chef Maven said at 9:34 am on December 22nd, 2009:

I am so surprised these didn’t make it to The New York Times, to see people and strangers at that, having fun in the middle of the night in New York City – this is why I love NYC – and yes only here with the spontaneity did this come to pass – Let’s hope someone picks up this story – it’s simply beautiful on many levels….great photo work!

102. 102 JJ said at 10:09 am on December 22nd, 2009:

I believe everyone is saying the same thing.
    That we need more things like this.
    I mean, I find it so cool that everyone came together for it. Un-organized and seems like alot of fun.

I dont no if i can put it into words but, this just gives me hope that, maybe, we can change and come together more often? Help others more often?

I dont know!
    to the photographer… Your shots are amazing. I read a comment about how the b&w, with no cars and all makes it look other century-ish. Love it
    Great Captures.

103. 103 Drea said at 10:14 am on December 22nd, 2009:

what great pictures! thanks for sharing.

Drea

104. 104 Jak said at 10:16 am on December 22nd, 2009:

I might make you think about Breugel, but he was Belgian, no Dutch at all. :)
    great photo’s, I bet you got several cold balls against your face at that point xD

105. 105 Vinnie Bartilucci said at 10:21 am on December 22nd, 2009:

They’ll try to organize this next year, with sponsors and fake snow, and nobody will show up.

106. 106 Eric P. Metze said at 10:43 am on December 22nd, 2009:

A hundred random strangers in the busiest place on Earth stopping to enjoy a harmless game. So beautiful.

107. 107 Blizzard 2009 | Throwdown in Times Square | A Design Mafia said at 10:53 am on December 22nd, 2009:

[...] a good old fashion snowball fight. More photos after the jump or head over to Doug’s website here// for even [...]

108. 108 who cares said at 10:58 am on December 22nd, 2009:

I suppose in a place not particularly known for kindness any display of human spirit should make the news.

109. 109 wb said at 10:58 am on December 22nd, 2009:

Breughel was flemisch / Belgian!

110. 110 Len said at 11:01 am on December 22nd, 2009:

Nice! Very nice…..I’d like to see the next one on the White House lawn…. :)

111. 111 Jamie said at 11:15 am on December 22nd, 2009:

These are great pictures! Make me homesick for Vermont!

112. 112 Tracy said at 11:34 am on December 22nd, 2009:

I know you’ve been flooded with comments, and will be even more so now that there’s a link to this page in the Times today (how I found you), but I have to tell you how incredible your photos are. You are incredibly talented. You captured the joy & spontaneity perfectly. I feel like I was there, which I wish so much that I had been. Talk about the right time at the right place.
    Congratulations on an incredible set of photos.

113. 113 Anne said at 11:51 am on December 22nd, 2009:

Thank for for making me smile today.

114. 114 Channon said at 11:54 am on December 22nd, 2009:

Perhaps this will encourage New Yorkers to not take themselves so seriously so often! When the burden of maintaining the rotation of the Earth is lifted from your shoulders, you have the opportunity to enjoy life a bit…

115. 115 Stephen said at 12:12 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

There was a snowball fight like this the same day in D.C. on 14th street but a cop in a hummer pulled up, and after being hit in the face with a snowball he pulled out his gun.

116. 116 LInda said at 12:19 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

WOW, unbelievable, AWESOME, so much snow in the middle of the CITY, fun fun FUN,
    ………. pictures = 10 million words!!!!!!

117. 117 Jennifer said at 12:22 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

What wonderful pictures! I came across these on the cnn.com website. Growing up in northern NJ and knowing how fast-paced the city is, it was great to see more playful, candid pictures of Times Square! Looks like it was a fun time! Captured some great moments that made my heart smile! Thank you for sharing!

118. 118 doug said at 12:42 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

Doug Kim

119. 119 Greg said at 12:44 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

Cool photos.Fitting, to see a “West Side Story” banner in back ground. Too bad the old ‘Zoot-Suiters’, Lords of Flatbush and other ‘Gangs of New York’ couldn’t settle a dispute the way this gang did. Keep up the good work. And thanks Doug.

120. 120 Charlotte said at 12:45 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

Thanks for reminding us that sometimes the most important thing in life is stop and play for a while. You should consider submitting some of these to the next NWF photo contest. There is a category for these types of shots.

121. 121 Alistair said at 12:57 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

What a great city, this looks like a lot of fun, i miss NYC and cant wait to return.

122. 122 Rigas said at 1:03 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

That was perfect! Really nice photos and captures! Was that a scheduled event? It was very late but there were so many people!

123. 123 Karen said at 1:14 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

The next time someone bashes New Yorkers as cold and unfriendly, point them to these photos to show them what awesome and fun people New Yorkers truly are!!

124. 124 Mike said at 1:16 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

AWESOME!!!!! Not a car in site, that is how NYC should be all the time!

125. 125 Hales said at 1:25 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

I SOOOOO wish I was there! I love snowball fights! And in the middle of Times Square…that is EPIC!

126. 126 Tina said at 1:55 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

Your photos make me so happy :) I am sad I missed it– this would have been tremendous fun! Instead, my dog and I were frolicking in the deserted streets of West Village. I will never forget this snowstorm– there hasn’t been a good one in so long! (2004 as far as I can remember)

xoxo, Tina
    p.s. just fyi, I linked to you

127. 127 Jennifer Tomaloff said at 1:57 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

This made my day!
    Snowball fights are great fun, especially when they are with complete strangers. I really wish I was there.
    These are awesome photos.

Thank you for sharing.

-Jen

128. 128 Tristan said at 2:04 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

Great photos! Wish I was there.

129. 129 Tristan said at 2:13 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

hohohohohoho!

130. 130 Tristan said at 2:17 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

hohohohohohohoho@ho%com!@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@!

131. 131 Frantz said at 2:17 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

Snowball fights are the best way to bring everybody together no matter what age they are. For some people there, it may have been their first experience and that’s “Only in NY” something like that can happen.

I’m from Quebec City, Canada and yes, snow is a common thing here and sometimes, we take for granted that little snowfall but with today’s climate change, we may see it disappear….

I’m happy that you had fun there and thanks for the nice photos, this is a great souvenir for the participants of that night.

Lovely, just Lovely….

132. 132 billy o said at 2:25 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

Things like this is what makes NYC so great….and there was no need for any ‘cop to take out his gun’ and ruin the fun…this is why I’m proud to be a native New Yorker.

133. 133 gina said at 2:27 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

you made many people smile with your pictures, thanks!

134. 134 Moira said at 3:06 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

Thanks for sharing these!The only I miss about the snow is the beauty and snowball fights.

135. 135 Jim said at 3:10 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

I was not greatly impressed with your photos. Very few faces or expressions. The majority of pictures are hooded faceless mannequins in frozen tossing mode. I would have liked to have seen more expression of individuals . You did a a few but not enough in this display. The sepia effect (no real zones) made the snow look dirty and the scene muted) I understand the circumstances were difficult but a thoughtful skilled photographer would have thought out a shot rather than shot without composition into a crowd of frenzied snow throwers. Next time more close ups of the peoples faces and some true black and white zone photography for the full spectrum from white to black with all the zones of grey in between. I give you a c minus

136. 136 Streetsblog New York City » Cast Your Vote for the 2009 Streetsies said at 3:33 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

[...] Next week we'll be back with our year-end wrap, and Streetsblog will return to our regular publishing schedule on Monday, January 4. In the meantime, you might also get a kick out of these pictures. [...]

137. 137 Dan said at 3:44 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

Love it, great work and especially, great action. I took some photos too but didn’t leave my shutter speed as slow, so it was hard to see any snow actually flying. I was wondering, you have these in color too, right? I’ve always thought that Times Square was one of the few places where color can be as dramatic as B&W (especially with the ground being mostly monochromatic and the fashion-style being somewhat muted)

Some of my photos here:

138. 138 doug said at 3:55 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

Jim, thanks for your critique. What you are saying is true but completely besides the point for me. I will and always have traded technique for being able to capture the moment.

I did check out your work. Happy holidays.

Doug Kim

139. 139 FD said at 3:59 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

These photos will become iconic of the 21st century–perhaps of a time before the earth warmed so much that snow in NYC becomes rare.

They are in a class with the best.

140. 140 doug said at 3:59 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

Hi Dan, I did see your shots. Great work! These are raw files so I could have made them color but I always prefer black and white. It’s like Ted Grant says, “When you shoot color, you’re shooting clothes and the paint on the walls. When you shoot, black and white, you have the chance to concentrate on the soul.”

I kept playing with the shutter speed to get the snow in and then to get the light of the billboards to make silhouettes. I also had longer lenses in my bag but refused to change out in the snow.

Thanks for sharing! Send me more of your work when you get a chance.

Doug Kim

141. 141 Shawn said at 4:02 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

Nice pics and what a fun event.

Pay no attention to Jim. Since you did check out his work, you can clearly see his skill level stops at the disposal camera buy-in level.

I like what you did there.

142. 142 jpgfxdotcom said at 4:02 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

Looks like fun!! Great photos. I wanna visit NY one day.

143. 143 Wendy said at 4:02 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

These are fabulous. Great capture of such an great scene.

144. 144 Dan said at 4:29 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

I sympathize with Doug over Jim. Having also been there, and considering the cold, windy, snowy conditions, it was not optimal planning time. I was too busy trying to keep snow from accumulating on my camera to really think out compositions. Also, it was just fun…I went to Times Square to see what kind of fun was happening and was lucky to have had decided to drag a heavy camera there. Kudos to Doug for many fine shots with difficult weather and chaotic subjects.

145. 145 lanrosta said at 4:34 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

timeless! these will be famous images years from now. wonderful to see the celebration of true spirit. congrats!

146. 146 Coleta Seletiva II « about:blank said at 4:36 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

[...] Guerra de neve na Times Square ! – FODA ! Pena que nesse inferninho não neva. [...]

147. 147 Jess said at 4:40 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

Hey great pictures!!! You are an awesome photographer, and I hope you got that little boy back that is about to hammer you with a snowball! We should have one in Boston, lol.

148. 148 jhony said at 4:52 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS TO IS SENDING FOR ME.

149. 149 kleiny said at 5:02 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

I was involved in a GREAT snowball fight like this once in high school, in the parking lot of the local Burger King. It was so much fun! 15 years later and I still remember laughing my butt off. It made everyone involved, and there were at least 100, closer. This is what’s cool about the spirit of the holidays.

150. 150 Ray said at 5:05 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

Stunning pictures! It’s stuff like this that you rarely see anymore that actually FORCED me into having the spirit of the holiday season! Thank you very much for sharing these wonderful pictures, and as someone commented, this is gallery worthy material!

151. 151 Nevin said at 5:22 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

Fabulous!!!!

152. 152 Barbara said at 6:35 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

I can’t stop smiling! I feel as if I were there.

153. 153 FranciL said at 6:53 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

I love my New York!

154. 154 Chris said at 7:15 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

Those pictures are so great! I love them in b&w! Agree with everyone else – you made me feel like I was there. Great work! I can’t say enuf great things about your photo deck. Thank you.

155. 155 Mike said at 7:43 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

“Only in New York”

Really?

I mean, it’s great that there was a spontaneous snowball fight – always fun. And, it’s great that it happened in the middle of a big city.

But, c’mon, you aren’t the ones to invent this. Sure, maybe it was “only in New York” because that’s the only place with a Times Square, but I could say something similar if one happened in my backyard – “Only in [my city]” because that’s where my backyard is.

Really, people, get over yourselves. There’s more to this world/country than NYC. And there are people doing non-sensical, fun, spontaneous things in it all the time.

156. 156 Javi Guerra said at 8:47 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

Awesome! Wish I was there! To all the haters, look at all the smiles on everyone’s faces! Burned! Zip it!

157. 157 Deb said at 9:42 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

I’m so jealous I wasn’t able to join in the fun…I LOVE NY, I LOVE NY!

158. 158 Freya said at 9:47 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

That’s really cool and looks like lots of fun (I’m hopefully moving to the city soon), but why wasn’t there any traffic? Is there normally not any traffic at that time of night, or was it blocked off for some reason, or what?

159. 159 john Richardson said at 9:50 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

Greg Gehr has described this event most eloquently

160. 160 Wanda Lamb said at 10:07 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

I was there. My room overlooked the site and we had to visit the snowballing when it started. I looked out the window watching the snow and saw it get started. A great memory for my Birthday trip to NY from Atlanta.

161. 161 Wanda Lamb said at 10:09 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

We were there. Our Marriott Hotel room overlooked the site. While watching the snow we saw the snowballing start and joined the fun. A great memory for my Birthday trip from Atlanta.

162. 162 Ryan said at 10:31 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

Reminds me of this video by Animal Collective:

163. 163 Bill in Portland Maine said at 10:32 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

Really wonderful photos, Doug. I’m featuring you tomorrow in my column at the Daily Kos blog, including this little snippet:

“Freelance photographer Doug Kim captured the merry mayhem and produced a series of black-and-white photos that evoke such a sense of nostalgia that they feel like they could’ve leapt off of Norman Rockwell’s canvas.”

All I can say is: submit those puppies for awards. You really captured something that morning.

Bill

164. 164 Robert Harrington said at 10:34 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

A spontaneous happening at the square
    Not planned or thought that night
    A release of childlike nature
    In the midst of urban blight
    A sign of hope to humanity
    Twinkling in the darkness
    A light that’s hard to see
    One of contrast and starkness
    An expression of God’s love
    Through a simple snowball fight.
    But not a fight at all
    Just a very special night

165. 165 leanne reid glasgow scotland uk said at 10:41 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

hey there i love everything about your shots and i think going with the black and white adds even more drama to this lovely scene. This made my heart feel warm how nice it is to see so many people from so many different walks of life come together to forget everything for just that little while imagine if the whole world could be like this happy just for one day!!! you were so lucky to have experienced this and thank you for sharing with us. Have a great xmas leanne Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom far far away but by viewing these pictures i felt part of this wonderful lovely thing xxx

166. 166 leanne reid glasgow scotland uk said at 10:43 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

And a quick note to Robert Harrington you wrote so lovely what i was thinking your words sum it up perfectly :-) xx

167. 167 Sarah♥ said at 11:01 pm on December 22nd, 2009:

That is SO awesome!!! I wish I could’ve been there but I was way over here in MN :(

168. 168 doug said at 12:34 am on December 23rd, 2009:

Just want to thank everyone again for the amazing amount of comments and messages I’ve been receiving from this series. It is awesome that I was able to capture a little bit of joy last Saturday and share it with so many.

Thanks Angela and Tina; gave you a little reciprocal link love.

And lastly, I love this town! All you have to do is step outside and let the streets take you to the next adventure.

Doug Kim

169. 169 Bryan said at 1:53 am on December 23rd, 2009:

Gives me some hope that even in the hectic world that we live in, some people can still find time to have fun and enjoy the little things… Something everyone needs to realize.

170. 170 Schahryar Fekri said at 3:48 am on December 23rd, 2009:

wooohoooo!!

171. 171 Web Nut said at 5:54 am on December 23rd, 2009:

Sweeet ! I love snow ….planing a snow ball ambush later today when we get off from work… hope the boss is in a good mood and we get to keep our jobs :P.

172. 172 nichole said at 7:44 am on December 23rd, 2009:

I wish I could have gone, be i’m personally be too scared to bring my camera. lol.

173. 173 Kim Cavanagh said at 7:51 am on December 23rd, 2009:

Awesome photos!!!

174. 174 nichole said at 7:54 am on December 23rd, 2009:

btw i wanted to let u know i linked to your website from mine and posted just three photos with your name and full rights that you took them on my website. all the photos have links to this page if clicked on…

175. 175 Maureen said at 8:32 am on December 23rd, 2009:

this makes me believe even more that nothing is accidental Doug – you were supposed to be there with your camera at that exact moment. Beautiful pictures. I was there, but much earlier in the evening when the snow had just started piling up, and everyone was so very excited.

176. 176 Amanda said at 8:42 am on December 23rd, 2009:

This is beautiful. If we could all join in a harmless snow ball fight maybe war wouldn’t be taken away so many innocent lives. I love your photos. Great job with showing the world a moment of happiness.

177. 177 Thepunkguy » writing from the wrote.. said at 10:19 am on December 23rd, 2009:

[...] a. what you missed not being in new york city two days ago. SNOW BALL FIGHT IN TIMES SQUARE HERE. [...]

178. 178 Brendan said at 10:36 am on December 23rd, 2009:

Hi, here’s the VIDEO montage for the Times Square Snowball Fight, with all the best parts put to music.
    It’s only a minute long, but IT’S BIG !

179. 179 K. Fults said at 12:39 pm on December 23rd, 2009:

Glad no one pulled a gun like in D.C..

180. 180 Lynette said at 1:51 pm on December 23rd, 2009:

I’m happy to see you guys got the snow instead of Cleveland. I’ll be missing the white Christmas though. Looks like fun. I spent 2 yrs. in Albuquerque and the snow never got deep enough to have any fun. It got just as cold though! Then 120 degrees in the shade during the summer! No thank you. I came back home to Ohio. Moderate temps and no appreciable earthquakes…and no roaches…and higher wages!

But I digress,

Lyn

181. 181 electronic cigarette said at 2:21 pm on December 23rd, 2009:

I would have loved to be a part if this!

182. 182 Ken said at 4:24 pm on December 23rd, 2009:

Love the pics, all of them. Actually so nice to see everyone having fun with the snow, I have it here all winter and we never seem to get out for a good old snowball fight. Had I been there in Time Square instead of in September I would certainly have joined in….:-)))

183. 183 DAve said at 5:08 pm on December 23rd, 2009:

Every face is full of life.
    Pure joy rooted in the harmless fun of hitting some unaware sucker in the back of the head with a well packed snowball!

Made my day!

Congrats!

184. 184 jason said at 5:17 pm on December 23rd, 2009:

Magical shots. Makes me homesick for South Dakota. For me, the only thing that I feel like Portland, Oregon is lacking – snow; snowmen, snow angels, snow forts, snowball fights.

185. 185 john b said at 5:20 pm on December 23rd, 2009:

hey carl….

“GOD” has nothing to do with this or anything else. Get a life. Just a bunch of people having a good time.

Why do you jesus lovers always have to ruin everything by bringing god and religion into it??????

186. 186 D114: Are You Lost in the Swirl of Holiday Frenzy? : tasra mar | transform — your images, your albums, your life ™ said at 7:27 pm on December 23rd, 2009:

[...] Looked at images online of a snowball fight in Times Square by Doug Kim, a freelance fine art, documentary photographer based in Brooklyn, [...]

187. 187 sssence said at 8:02 pm on December 23rd, 2009:

This is one of the single most wonderful, awesome, inspiring, beautiful and emotional experiences I have seen captured by camera in 2009. I only wish I could have been there.
    Thank you for the photos. It completely made my day!

188. 188 Darlene said at 9:05 pm on December 23rd, 2009:

I loved this.

Wish I was there :)

189. 189 Jamie said at 10:02 pm on December 23rd, 2009:

Thank you for the spectacular photos.

190. 190 Eta said at 10:15 pm on December 23rd, 2009:

I love New York :D

191. 191 Remy said at 11:20 pm on December 23rd, 2009:

I’m in Jamaica, but i’d fly over just for that fight. lol
    I Miss New York!

192. 192 Paulo Miranda said at 11:55 pm on December 23rd, 2009:

Your photos have joined the special group of wonderful pictures showcasing New York City. Great Job!

193. 193 Jim said at 12:54 am on December 24th, 2009:

Your a true gentleman and I am sorry if i ruffled some feathers, but I know you could have done better. You are very talented and passionate artist and obviously put serious effort into your work. My criticism was not meant hurt or discourage but to express things that I observed and felt honestly about without guile, As we all know art is subjective and different people see things a bit differently at times. I know I am not an Ansel Adams and I am open to constructive criticism as well. Emphasis on constructive. Your total body of work is excellent, this one event could have turned out better had the conditions been better and more controllable. With respect in humility. Jim A.

194. 194 gus said at 4:01 am on December 24th, 2009:

I was at this snowball fight it was so much fun!

195. 195 Kyle said at 4:10 am on December 24th, 2009:

I was there!!!! It was really just a once in a lifetime moment. To answer a few questions there were two sides. It was really as fun as it looked. There was a real connection between everyone. I didnt hear about it, my friends and i were walking into time square at the time and stumbled onto it. The snow was perfect for throwing. It was still coming down hard when it started. And my favorite, when a tractor trailer got stuck at a red light everyone would forget the teams and join forces to fight the trucks. It was really a dream when I look back on it…

196. 196 Seth said at 4:49 am on December 24th, 2009:

This restores my faith in humanity.

197. 197 Snowball Fight in Times Square « said at 8:07 am on December 24th, 2009:

[...] Snowball Fight in Times Square 2009 December 24 tags: doug kim, new york spirit, snowball fight, snowball fight times square, times square by Renee Massaro I happened upon these festive pictures of what looks like the most fun snowball fight ever in Times Square no less.  People were yelling “only in New York”, wish I could’ve been there. See more of Doug Kim’s photos. [...]

198. 198 Rosalie said at 8:56 am on December 24th, 2009:

FANTASTIC! I see christmas cards of these photos in fifty years! This is classic and beautiful! Good work!

199. 199 Simone said at 2:10 pm on December 24th, 2009:

Wonderfull…!!!

200. 200 Elizabeth said at 3:08 pm on December 24th, 2009:

Spontaneous and fun, that’s what makes times like these, captured in you pictures, show us. It is wonderful to know that people still know how to have fun during hard times.
    And the black and white just gave it the right touch to make everything seem so inviting.
    Great job!

201. 201 Flickr Snowball Fight post-mortem: A lesson in being first said at 3:19 pm on December 24th, 2009:

[...] 30 hours before. After work, while at the office, I noticed that CNN had spotlighted freelancer Doug Kim’s excellent B&W photos of the incident on his blog; I didn’t realize until I saw the reaction he got how amazing this event was to anyone who [...]

202. 202 JD said at 12:03 am on December 25th, 2009:

The smiles on the faces are absolutely wonderful. Beautiful shots.

203. 203 Libby said at 12:19 am on December 25th, 2009:

And the NYTimes had the nerve to publish reports the NY is the unhappiest place in America….

I don’t believe it for a single second

204. 204 indra arya said at 1:05 am on December 25th, 2009:

its hard to believe , what expressions of the young and old ones
    I wish I were there too
    Indra arya

205. 205 KristinaRose said at 5:02 am on December 25th, 2009:

Every time I go to NYC, I always think about how much fun a snowball fight would be in Times Square. Thank you for living my dream without me.
    If only the drive wouldn’t have been so hard in the snow. I totally would have joined in.

206. 206 Charlie Thiel said at 6:41 am on December 25th, 2009:

I put a link to your photos on my blog (and I will put them on my twitter post as well). Wow. Magical. A magical moment, and you got it. The images are fantastic. I wish I could have been there.

207. 207 Todd said at 9:36 am on December 25th, 2009:

Great images! Looks like it was a lot of fun to photograph!

208. 208 Gayle Gibrick said at 9:43 am on December 25th, 2009:

Looks like fun,NOT! I’m here in Florida and it’s much more fun here!

209. 209 Jeff said at 2:28 pm on December 25th, 2009:

Great photos of fun in the snow.

210. 210 Dean Sidden said at 3:15 pm on December 25th, 2009:

That nite was so much fun! I felt 12 years old again. That snow was the true fountain of youth! The Times Square snowball fight was the most fun I ever had in NYC.

211. 211 Brad said at 3:46 pm on December 25th, 2009:

Very nice photos!

To bad that cop showed up :/.

212. 212 423gtrman said at 4:10 pm on December 25th, 2009:

PEACE ON EARTH, GOOD WILL, AND SNOW BALL FIGHTS. TAKE AWAY SOME OF OUR MONEY AND WE WILL STILL FIND A WAY TO HAVE FUN. TAKE THAT SCROOGE

213. 213 doug said at 6:41 pm on December 25th, 2009:

wow, great pics. YOU ARE AWESOME DUDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

FROM
    THE 3 AMIGOS, AND KDAWG

214. 214 Snowball Fight In Times Square « Annicha said at 10:15 pm on December 25th, 2009:

[...] AM in the middle of the NY blizzard. Photos by Doug Kim, whose work seems worth watching. Leave a [...]

215. 215 kim ash said at 11:56 pm on December 25th, 2009:

your bravery under fire does not go unnoticed, show us more please.

216. 216 kim douglas said at 12:32 am on December 26th, 2009:

we have like the same name reversed, you take great pictures.new york in black and white is surreal.

217. 217 Happy holidays! « Kaleidoscopic said at 2:39 am on December 26th, 2009:

[...] this post about a wild snowball fight in Times Square last week. Credit for the photography goes to Doug Kim. Talk about being in the right place at the right time. “Only in New York”? That remark [...]

218. 218 Twitted by hondo64ou said at 4:26 am on December 26th, 2009:

[...] This post was Twitted by hondo64ou [...]

219. 219 Winter Workout In Disguise: Fresh Fitness Tips: Self.com | Skiing Leisure Knowledge said at 6:50 am on December 26th, 2009:

[...] Blizzard 2009 | Snowball fight Times Square « Chasing Light … [...]

220. 220 richo said at 7:44 am on December 26th, 2009:

Nice images, full of dynamic. One can really feel it!
    Thanks for sharing!
    -r-

221. 221 LINKED Vol.#6 | Man of Darkness « their bated breath said at 12:59 pm on December 26th, 2009:

[...] the 100 essential country songs that would help a budding musician. PHOTOS: Impromptu photos of a Times Square snowball fight caught by freelance photographer Doug Kim. Photos are gorgeous. AUDIO: Massive Attack’s song [...]

222. 222 josh said at 3:43 pm on December 26th, 2009:

Great shots, dude.

joyous.

223. 223 francesco calco said at 4:09 pm on December 26th, 2009:

——-yeah–yeah–you are all bragging because you got all that neat snow-
    It’s not right– here we are —in Olmsted Falls , Ohio –just west of –
    Cleveland, – Sat. Dec. 26. 2009 – 48 degrees and sunshine—heck—–
    —some people get all the breaks..
    —frankCC…

224. 224 Brother said at 9:38 pm on December 26th, 2009:

Fantastic shots (both photographic and snow-based). Sometimes the most fun is the spontaneous kind, eh?

A few years back I brought a group of students to NYC and we arrived during a blizzard. The next day we were touring Central Park and were ambushed with a torrent of snowballs by some college students in a gazebo. One of my students turned to me and asked “Can we throw back?” I had to pause between throws to say, “For sure! I can’t do it alone!”

Good times!

225. 225 Strum T Strummer (Strum) said at 9:52 pm on December 26th, 2009:

Brilliant photos. Made me LOL! What a great buzz going on! Thanks! :O)

226. 226 wineonlips said at 9:57 pm on December 26th, 2009:

That’s awesome!!! Spending the holidays is sunny Florida has its charm, but this is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better:)))

227. 227 4real said at 3:23 am on December 27th, 2009:

global warming! quick polar bears are drowning because of the heat. oh wait

228. 228 Scarlet Words » Blog Archive » Snowball fight in Times Square said at 3:43 am on December 27th, 2009:

[...] snowball fight in Times Square last week, at about 1am. These are a few of my favourite shots, but check out his blog to see the rest. His work is beautiful, and what an incredible thing to [...]

229. 229 Yorkie Poo said at 4:41 am on December 27th, 2009:

While these photos are fantastic in that they capture people spontaneously having fun in an unlikely location, the reactions on this page are just another example of the tendency to romanticize New York City every given chance. When I read comments like “only in New York,” and “New Yorkers really know how to have fun,” it makes me wanna dig a hole in my own thigh. New Yorkers get a reputation for being unfriendly because they are exactly that. This snowball fight occurred in Times Square, where the only people on the streets are out-of-towners/tourists. If these Florida kids came to a real NY neighborhood and threw a snowball at someone, they would’ve gotten one thrown right back at their face with a frozen D battery hidden inside of it. I live in Brooklyn and I would have to say that that as a whole, NY’ers are miserable people. Some of you people need to get real. The photos, however, are awesome.

230. 230 BIgFOot said at 9:21 am on December 27th, 2009:

Amidst the flood of mainstream media images of war, violence and misery of 2009, ain’t this a sight for sore eyes!!!!

Merci.

231. 231 Snowballin’ NYC | ShellsuitZombie magazine™ said at 6:45 pm on December 27th, 2009:

[...] all the photos here, and thanks to Ryan for the [...]

232. 232 scnaturegirl said at 12:23 am on December 28th, 2009:

Thanks so much for taking these great pics…as I looked through them I could hear the laughter and the giggles…what a merry and joyful sound to fill our hearts as we end this difficult year….Peace

233. 233 Jammu kashmir said at 4:09 am on December 28th, 2009:

Very nice Pictures of snow fighting

234. 234 Scott Kelsey said at 10:15 am on December 28th, 2009:

I love the 3rd photo. The motion of the snow flying by the lens is a great catch. Love it!

235. 235 SPORT 24 - Media* » Το FOX στον ΑΝΤ1, ο Κοζώνης στο SPORT 24 said at 11:37 am on December 28th, 2009:

[...] της Νέας Υόρκης. Περισσότερες, πανέμορφες φωτογραφίες εδώ. Tags: ANT1, Estia, Kozonis, New York, NME, SPORT 24, Times square, Twitter, [...]

236. 236 Muckizucki said at 1:31 pm on December 28th, 2009:

wish I was there!!!!!!

237. 237 TeeEYEemm said at 3:30 pm on December 28th, 2009:

Sure this can happen anywhere that it snows. Sure this may not be done by the tried and true “New-Yorker”, but that doesn’t mean that the photos are not amazing. I think they do capture a much needed sense of indiscriminate love for our peers, young and old, that just happened to show it’s face right then and there. Again, amazing photos!

238. 238 Antonette said at 3:47 pm on December 28th, 2009:

Doug,

239. 239 Dave said at 5:52 pm on December 28th, 2009:

Doug, Great images! Thanks so much for sharing! I would have loved to have participated myself, despite my age.

Dave

240. 240 Nicola said at 7:50 pm on December 28th, 2009:

Brilliant you captured the moment, I love it! everyone was giving it there all, looked like they all had fun!

241. 241 Carol Betts said at 12:41 am on December 29th, 2009:

Awesome! Love the moments you captured!

242. 242 Twitted by lallapalooza said at 12:59 am on December 29th, 2009:

[...] This post was Twitted by lallapalooza [...]

243. 243 Twitted by 15june said at 1:31 am on December 29th, 2009:

[...] This post was Twitted by 15june [...]

244. 244 avisioncame said at 2:04 am on December 29th, 2009:

bleh, New York city is so overdone

245. 245 tayble said at 2:47 am on December 29th, 2009:

wow! there is so many ppl!!!!!!! haha is that in new york? gosh i want to go there!

246. 246 Kate said at 3:35 am on December 29th, 2009:

the most important part of taking a great picture is being there. well done! beautiful work and impeccable timing!

247. 247 Streetsblog New York City » The 2009 Streetsie Awards, Part 1 said at 9:02 am on December 29th, 2009:

[...] Turning one axis of the crossroads of the world into a street for walking, socializing, and snowball fighting takes the top spot. Times Square is a completely different place for the 350,000-plus office [...]

248. 248 littlepurplecow said at 11:02 am on December 29th, 2009:

Love these images. Found your site via Guy. Really great work. Hope you didn’t get nailed with a snowball!

249. 249 Bill Bolmeier said at 11:44 am on December 29th, 2009:

Great fun. Now we just need to roll that snowball across the country. Every city should be having a snowball fight this winter. Great photos.

250. 250 Engagement At The Met | Adam & Maria « Chasing Light | photography, sandwiches, cigarettes said at 12:12 pm on December 29th, 2009:

[...] of the enormous attention I have received from the Times Square snowball fight photos, I was able to get back in touch with a couple that I met two years ago here in New [...]

251. 251 Galvin said at 2:30 pm on December 29th, 2009:

Wonderful View, this Snow makes me feel like shivering and it has truly transformed Times Square into some Fighting place

252. 252 ckalangis said at 4:39 pm on December 29th, 2009:

It goes to prove that all the fun in the world is not dead. Great moment and wonderfully captured!

253. 253 Europe Holiday said at 2:22 am on December 30th, 2009:

Awesome! Love the moments you captured! All is right with the world. Thanks for being in the present moment and sharing that with the rest of us. Peace and good will to men.

254. 254 Twitted by abu_3adel said at 3:23 am on December 30th, 2009:

[...] This post was Twitted by abu_3adel [...]

255. 255 Leesa Winters said at 10:01 am on December 30th, 2009:

I love, love, love these photos. Great Job.

256. 256 AtlFalcon said at 12:42 pm on December 30th, 2009:

For the ignorant person who posted this:

ATL Guy ( December 22, 2009 at 9:19 am )

You should leave and go back to New York if you hate Atlanta so much. It’s people like you that make cities unpleasant to live in stupid. Everything was positive on this blog until you posted!

257. 257 Mad Jayhawk said at 5:20 pm on December 30th, 2009:

Great photos. All the nations of the world should put down their weapons and arm themselves with snowballs.

Spent 3 days playing dumb tourist in NYC about 2 months ago. Wonderful experience. Wonderful people.

258. 258 Mike said at 12:59 am on December 31st, 2009:

Really inspiring…It is great to see adults out there acting like kids. I really forget to do that most of the time.

259. 259 TheAL said at 4:34 pm on December 31st, 2009:

Amazing shots! Looks like a wonderful time. Wish I had made it there.

260. 260 georgia said at 5:03 pm on December 31st, 2009:

these are awesome photos. wish i could have been there.

261. 261 LaVerne Blickley said at 4:34 pm on January 2nd, 2010:

I want to be there! The videos are also very good…thanks for sharing, I’ll start a snowball fight here just to commemorate this big one there!
    Classic shots- shop them around so they can be archived!,

262. 262 Twitted by tiffany_dorrin said at 4:52 pm on January 2nd, 2010:

[...] This post was Twitted by tiffany_dorrin [...]

263. 263 Alejandra Hugues said at 4:09 am on January 3rd, 2010:

Wow!!!!! This is amazing!!!!!
    It would have been so nice to be there!!!

BTW… look at this link, i really hope you like it… please comment.
    Muak!

264. 264 Lainer said at 10:49 am on January 4th, 2010:

This is great! Nice pictures.

265. 265 Twitted by BeadBaby said at 10:50 am on January 4th, 2010:

[...] This post was Twitted by BeadBaby [...]

266. 266 Twitted by melaniemagic said at 10:53 am on January 4th, 2010:

[...] This post was Twitted by melaniemagic [...]

267. 267 Desiree @ Writing to Sanity said at 10:53 am on January 4th, 2010:

I would have loved to witness this! As a Colorado native who has recently moved to northern NJ, I can’t fully express how appreciative I am to see photos like this published. I can tell you first-hand that the impression “Westies” have of East Coast folks is completely inaccurate – from what I can see, East Coasters work hard and know how to PLAY HARD, too!

268. 268 Twitted by ilikepieee said at 10:55 am on January 4th, 2010:

[...] This post was Twitted by ilikepieee [...]

269. 269 Kimini said at 11:26 am on January 4th, 2010:

Fantastic pictures!! Amazing… Would have loved to be there.

270. 270 Twitted by DJStrato said at 12:34 pm on January 4th, 2010:

[...] This post was Twitted by DJStrato [...]

271. 271 Twitted by CD09 said at 12:51 pm on January 4th, 2010:

[...] This post was Twitted by CD09 [...]

272. 272 SD webmagic said at 2:06 pm on January 4th, 2010:

I’m going to build a time machine to go there ……who’s in?

273. 273 Manhattan said at 2:08 pm on January 4th, 2010:

Can’t see anything like that ever happening in Times Square, but I’m glad it did. Maybe the new layout has improved the atmosphere.

274. 274 Jill said at 2:38 pm on January 4th, 2010:

Love em!!!!!!!!!

275. 275 Twitted by knocknascheagh said at 2:41 pm on January 4th, 2010:

[...] This post was Twitted by knocknascheagh [...]

276. 276 Jim Jones said at 2:48 pm on January 4th, 2010:

Ahhh, this makes me miss NYC even more. A city where anything seems possible…

277. 277 Aaron said at 3:11 pm on January 4th, 2010:

You know, after seeing this, I think this next decade might not be so bad after all.

278. 278 Anonymous said at 3:20 pm on January 4th, 2010:

Lovely, almost makes me feel like living in NYC

279. 279 Twitted by jitterbug212 said at 5:29 pm on January 4th, 2010:

[...] This post was Twitted by jitterbug212 [...]

280. 280 Cheryl Geller said at 7:57 pm on January 4th, 2010:

Awesome, thanks for sharing.

281. 281 Simon said at 8:40 pm on January 4th, 2010:

Wow beautifully atmospheric pictures!

282. 282 Twitted by jrose333 said at 9:22 pm on January 4th, 2010:

[...] This post was Twitted by jrose333 [...]

283. 283 Anonymous said at 10:12 pm on January 4th, 2010:

I wish I were there!!! Awesome!

284. 284 marcel said at 5:24 pm on January 5th, 2010:

that is freedom

285. 285 Clay said at 1:40 am on January 7th, 2010:

The way wars should be fought.

286. 286 Frenchylady said at 7:46 am on January 8th, 2010:

Nice pics…

“Only in New York” – er… no. It’s going on all over the country here currently (UK).

287. 287 Ray said at 12:30 pm on January 8th, 2010:

So the weather proof D300 held up. Great fun time, good job capturing the moment.

288. 288 JoLoves 4: Cute Cards, Beautiful Brownstones and Nice Nurseries | jogirl.com said at 10:51 pm on January 8th, 2010:

[...] my favourite thing from around the net right now is this photo series of a snowball fight in Times Square. I can’t stop looking at it, and search it every day or so at the moment. Um, this is so not [...]

289. 289 Frank said at 5:48 am on January 10th, 2010:

Collect photos around the world in ‘key’ cities of snowball fights! Gotta try and get this kind of thing accomplished because the photos not only look great but capture, for all viewers, the fun and simplicity of these moments. Now if we can get some from around the globe!

290. 290 Snowball Mania In Times Square « Pink Is Not An Appropriate Color said at 12:21 pm on January 10th, 2010:

[...] War [...]

291. 291 Gauri said at 1:29 am on January 11th, 2010:

OMG ! Amazing pictures , I wish I was there :D

292. 292 Terry Lee said at 12:54 pm on January 12th, 2010:

Totally brilliant photos. I’m so jealous I was not there, mind you I’m based near London so I doubt that would have even been possible :-)

293. 293 Hitting the Links (Happy 2010 edition) « The Home Beete! said at 1:30 pm on January 13th, 2010:

[...] without the part where you have to dig out your car or shovel your walk thanks to this lovely series of photos of a Times Square snowball fight by NYC shutterbug Doug Kim. (via [...]

294. 294 ali said at 5:14 pm on January 16th, 2010:

I would love to have been there! Enjoying the pics anyway!

295. 295 Suzanne said at 9:08 am on January 18th, 2010:

I keep coming back to this. Everywhere else I look it seems like so much of our world is falling apart. I guess it always looks that way. But this page always gives me hope. Thanks :)

296. 296 Lisa Kearney said at 1:48 am on January 31st, 2010:

This series of images is Spectacular! It should be published in a book!!!!!! The year time square became an innocent, fun, playground for all to engage with each other in a positive event of strangers living collectively in the moment of what nature brought to the park….a ginormous snowball event!!! They made me feel like time had stood still and strangers came together to “play” like in childhood when there was no stress, no violence but rather all laughter and innocent fun! Simply AWESOME photographs and very well composed. It fealt like I was there dodging snowballs in the motion you portrayed…great shutter spped use! I’m impressed. Talk about being in the right place at the right time equipped with the means and the talent to capture a priceless moment in time…and in all places…Time Square…where TIME never slows down, let alone stops for a gigantic snowball war!

297. 297 DamnGoodFeeling.com » Blog Archive » Snowball Fight said at 3:16 pm on March 8th, 2010:

[...] to times square since they started cracking down on pee.Here are a few places to fight out more Doug Kim Photography New York Times story DamnGoodFeeling.com Copyright [...]

298. 298 Horizontal Links - benatlas.com said at 7:15 pm on March 12th, 2010:

[...] Ricecracker – Blizzard 2009 – Snowball fight Times Square. [...]

299. 299 Acai Optimum said at 2:26 pm on April 4th, 2010:

Having a gigantic snow ball fight in times square looks like an amazingly good time. Wish I was there for this. I’m just a little worried about the dangers of having a snow ball fight with strangers, what if some of them use ice instead of snow?

300. 300 free electronic cigarettes said at 11:55 pm on May 6th, 2010:

Your news stories are well written. Keep up the great work. I visit your blog all the time.

301. 301 Richie said at 1:35 am on May 15th, 2010:

The best part about all the shots was that everyone was fighting but smiling the whole time…Snowball fights are fun until you get a bloody nose and have to go home to Mom..

Put all the UN people there and let them have a fight and when you get a bloody nose your vote is over…Simple way to solve problems…

302. 302 Danny DeMichele Flikr said at 5:05 am on June 10th, 2010:

Things like this is what makes NY so great….and there was no need for any ‘cop to take out his gun’ and ruin the fun…

303. 303 Pocha said at 8:59 pm on June 10th, 2010:

just beautiful i’m quite envious

304. 304 healthy chocolate said at 12:23 pm on July 26th, 2010:

Wow!!!! lovely pictures.
    It’s amazing to see people having so much fun while snow fight.

305. 305 Snowballfighting the City | professionaldreamers said at 12:14 pm on July 28th, 2010:

[...] this series by documentary photographer Doug Kim at:  http://blog.ricecracker.net/2009/12/20/snowball-fight-times-square/ Reports   city, public space, street photography   « Guest Artist – [...]

306. 306 Times Square Map (Work in Progress) | Travel said at 6:21 pm on October 25th, 2010:

[...] Also, if you just can’t get enough about this snowball event, check out photog Doug Kim’s work, which was featured on CNN.com. They’re black and white and better action shots, IMO. blog.ricecracker.net/2009/12/20/snowball-fight-times-square/ [...]

307. 307 Friday Finds {let it snow} « said at 12:36 pm on December 10th, 2010:

[...] via [...]

308. 308 Snowball Fight in Times Square | Modernica Blog said at 2:50 pm on December 21st, 2010:

[...] Last year, I happened upon these festive pictures of an amazing impromptu snowball fight  in Times Square no less.  People were yelling “only in New York!”  Photographer Doug Kim was there and captured the magic moment in a city cool enough to join in the spirit of spontaneous fun.  See more of Doug Kim’s photos. [...]

309. 309 stomping grounds « f o c a l m a t t e r said at 1:57 am on January 27th, 2011:

[...] report's right, there won't be any fresh snow blanketing the area and inspiring spur-of-the-moment mammoth snowball fights. On the bright side, the weather report's almost never [...]

310. 310 JozoneLayer | Neat photos from a snowball fight in Times Square a few weeks ago. said at 12:01 pm on May 31st, 2011:

[...] Posted January 9, 2010 in Photography via blog.ricecracker.net [...]

311. 311 Baleout Photos said at 4:17 am on August 19th, 2011:

[...] Times Square snowball fight, December 19, 2009 [...]

312. 312 TJ said at 1:24 pm on August 29th, 2011:

Found my footage almost 2 years later:

313. 313 The Big One 1.0 « The Bucket List said at 10:44 am on April 12th, 2012:

[...] Participate in an impromptu snowball fight with complete strangers. [...]

314. 314 Blizzard 2009 | Snowball fight Times Square said at 8:39 pm on April 15th, 2012:

[...] | Snowball fight Times Square By Oscar Leave a Comment What a lucky guy, this Doug Kim. Check out the pictures he took from a snowball fight in Times Square; it took place during a blizzard. I wish I were there. For a moment it seems that everybody forgot [...]

315. 315 Blizzard 2009 | Snowball fight Times Square | Oscar González said at 2:48 am on August 26th, 2012:

[...] a lucky guy, this Doug Kim. Check out the pictures he took from a snowball fight in Times Square; it took place during a blizzard. I wish I were there. For a moment it seems that everybody forgot [...]

316. 316 Nice Time photos | onlineproductivity said at 11:32 pm on February 13th, 2013:

[...] Also, if you just can’t get sufficient about this snowball event, verify out photog Doug Kim’s perform, which was featured on CNN.com. They’re black and white and much better action shots, IMO. weblog.ricecracker.net/2009/12/20/snowball-fight-times-square/ [...]

317. 317 Times Square Signage | onlineproductivity said at 5:41 am on February 25th, 2013:

[...] Also, if you just can’t get adequate about this snowball event, verify out photog Doug Kim’s work, which was featured on CNN.com. They’re black and white and greater action shots, IMO. blog.ricecracker.net/2009/12/20/snowball-fight-occasions-square/ [...]

318. 318 Snowstorm and snowball fight in Times Square, Manhattan, New York (larger size) | onlineproductivity said at 5:34 am on March 7th, 2013:

[...] Also, if you just can’t get sufficient about this snowball event, check out photog Doug Kim’s operate, which was featured on CNN.com. They’re black and white and better action shots, IMO. blog.ricecracker.net/2009/12/20/snowball-fight-times-square/ [...]

319. 319 topers said at 1:00 am on April 26th, 2013:

looks so much fun!!!

320. 320 Photography – Ten Photographs From History | Ezra Magazine said at 11:03 am on May 8th, 2013:

[...] read right, snow-fight. In 2009, the blizzard had set in so furiously upon Times Square in New York, that the residents [...]

321. 321 Nice About Time photos | Festive Light said at 1:32 am on December 19th, 2013:

[…] Also, if you just can’t get enough about this snowball event, check out photog Doug Kim’s work, which was featured on CNN.com. They’re black and white and better action shots, IMO. blog.ricecracker.net/2009/12/20/snowball-fight-times-square/ […]

322. 322 Bikers on Time Square | New York Taxi Finder said at 2:02 am on December 28th, 2013:

323. 323 Nice Times Square photos | New York Taxi Finder said at 10:30 pm on January 16th, 2014:

324. 324 Beautiful | Kalikmania said at 8:34 pm on January 31st, 2014:

[…] Chasing Light » Blog Archive » Blizzard 2009 | Snowball fight Times Square. […]

325. 325 Times Square m&m’s | New York Taxi Finder said at 6:01 am on February 2nd, 2014:

326. 326 download here said at 12:30 am on September 21st, 2014:

Hi! I could have sworn I’ve been to this site before but after checking through some of the
    post I realized it’s new to me. Anyhow, I’m definitely
    happy I found it and I’ll be book-marking and checking back frequently!

327. 327 Happy New Year! | A CUP OF JO said at 1:21 pm on December 4th, 2014: